Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why I Believe Cheating is Allowed

Several months ago, I read a food article in the LA Times, I think. And the author referred to himself as a Cheatin' Vegan. Brilliant! I'm new to this eating healthy for myself and the planet and can't get super down on myself if I partake in a homemade cupcake at a party.
Cake is my downfall. Don't send cakes.
I used to feel guilty if anything from an animal made its way to my gullet. And then I'd think, "Well, I messed up already I may as well go hog wild!" Get it? But now, I have built in a cheat day once a week. I allow myself the freedom to eat a scrambled egg in a pita, or have a strawberry cheese tart. And then get on with my life - no more sulking and feeling like a failure.
I figure my eating habits are 1,000 times better than they were in college. Where macaroni and cheese from the blue box and top ramen soup was the standard dinner. I know many staunch vegans will disagree with me - that cheating opens the floodgates to hell and that my health will suffer and think of the poor chickens. Well, cheating is tons better than going back to the dark side of animal products all the time. And I like to buy my eggs from the farmer at the local farmer's market. He lets them roam free and doesn't de-beak them. They look happy - happier than the happy cows on the cheese commercials.

There are more vegans like I am in the world. Read the Cheatin' Vegan's blog. She has a great perspective on life and living it.  Read what the Cheatin' Vegan has to say on cheating.





No comments:

Post a Comment