Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Meatless Mondays

I don't like the name "Meatless Mondays" because it sounds like I am giving up something valuable. Sorta like friendless or penniless. I like to call it just plain old "good food" days. Nonetheless, that's how I started on my journey to be a part-time vegan.
Just try one day without meat, they said. See how you'll survive and thrive, they said.
Okay, so it didn't kill me to have a roasted veggie sandwich instead of a turkey sandwich. In fact, the veggies were more flavorful. And I actually could stand up after eating a pomodoro pasta with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and oil. No passing out on Mondays.
And some of the salads with greens, quinoa, jicama, and black beans make fireworks in your mouth! So, I don't feel like I am being deprived.
So, give it a try, but plan WHAT you are going to eat that day. Otherwise your hands will naturally gravitate to the styro foam tray with chicken breasts when it's time to prepare dinner.  Try using the "Smart Ground" in place of your regular ground beef or turkey in your favorite chili recipe. Most major suopermarkets carry Smart Ground. Then your family won't freak out on you. The last thing you want is a revolt around the dinner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment